4 October 2011

10 things...

I've been invited by the lovely Cheryl @ numberfive to share 10 things about myself...  10 things that most folk don't know...  10 things that most folk may be surprised to hear if I told them...  


well, here goes...


1 - I love shoes
well, trainers in particular, but shoes in general!  I have a modest shoe collection, well I think it's modest - my boyfriend would beg to differ...  I have, all told, around 40 odd pairs of shoes, trainers, flip flops, boots...  (thats if you count all the pairs in our flat & those still taking up vital storage space in my parents house despite the fact I left home 13 years ago!).
My latest purchase, well actually purchased by my generous boyfriend - who for all his moaning about it does actually on occasion fund this footwear addiction - are a beautiful, gorgeous, delightful, limited edition pair of bright pink, patent doctor martens!  I'm in love!


2 - I hate cheese
I hate cheese, all cheeses, be they un-naturally orange coloured cheddar or those really smelly ones that have veins of mould running through them...  I have tried cheese a few times, usually when fuelled by alcohol & under the insistance of all my cheese loving freaks, sorry friends!  but these tastings always produce the same reaction - one of revulsion...


3 -  I am an amateur egyptian bellydancer & drummer
inspired by a uni friend, many years ago, I took up belly dancing when I moved to the capital in 2005.  I loved it!  I quickly became hooked & started doing classes in egyptian drumming too with Hilary Thacker.  I even ventured into the Tunisian sahara in 2008 for a drumming workshop holiday - it was truly one of the best experiences of my life...


4 - I am an only child
I know what you're thinking - she's gonna be really weird, have social issues, not be good at interacting with folk, have been spoiled to within an inch of her life as a child...
well, actually - no :)  I'm quite normal really, well as normal as normal can be...  & thats not just my own biased opinion - most folk are quite surprised how social & grounded I am when it is revealed that I am minus any siblings!


5 - I don't know what I want to do with my life...
by day I am an architect.  It took me 8 years of study & hard work to qualify.  it's all I ever wanted to do.  
...but 5 years after making my dream a reality I'm left wondering if I have spent all this time & money wisely...  I no longer love my job, I just get on with it...  and there in lies the issue, for you see, to be a truly good architect it must be your life not just a job...  
I don't know exactly when it stopped being a passion & started being the daily grind but now it has I feel I must address this issue...  
I must answer that ever present & weighty question - what do I want to do with my life?


6 - I don't drink tea or coffee  (yes, you did read that correctly!)
I never have & I seriously doubt I ever will either...  I have tasted both & like my dabble with all things cheesey my only reaction is one of dislike...


7 - I like doing scary stuff for charity
Thanks to a crazy friend from school (we've known each other since we were 6!) I have over the last few years been talked into doing crazy stuff for charity - in 2007 I did a tandem skydive to raise money for Cancer Backup (now part of Macmillan Cancer Support) & in 2010 we did an SAS style 160ft abseil from the Forth Rail Bridge to raise money for Chest, Heart & Stroke Scotland.  Next on the list are white water rafting & a 20ft walk over hot coals...  I'll keep you posted...


8 - My boobs get in the way
I'm well endowed in the boob department, theres just no getting away from it...  though I've had years to get used to it (I developed at 10) - years of practice coping with the staring, the conversations directed at them & not my face, the not being able to wear pretty, backless tops...  I know it's been a while since they've been in fashion but I'm still a little bitter...
but the major problem is not the size, the shape, the droopyness (which has been inevitable since puberty despite not being over 40 & not having borne any children yet), or the need for expensive bras with lots of scaffolding...  
it's that simple things - like crossing or moving your arms that are difficult - they are impeded by the projection of these monsters! ;)  
also, eating without spilling on yourself or ending up with half your meal inside your bra is something I haven't managed since before puberty took hold...  


9 - I am a geek
I love sci-fi films, in particular zombie films!  My all time favourite films (they just happen to be zombie films) are - 'Shaun of the Dead' & 'Zombieland'!  (although I have to say I have a passionate dislike for star wars...)  
I am totally hooked on the 'Trueblood' TV series (though at times it is reminiscent of channel 5 soft porn) & I love reading books featuring zombies, vampires & werewolves, especially zombies!


10 - I hate it when the film is different from the book
I know, I know...  it's artistic licence - that move from book to screenplay...  the finer points of the book don't always work when adapted for the big or small screen...
but seriously, what is with the major deviations from the plot of the book???
the latest series of 'Trueblood' is a perfect example...  I have read all the books.  I have overlooked the plot & character changes as I can appreciate it makes for better telly.  But now they are just blantantly making stuff up!  ...& it's not even good...

2 comments:

  1. What?! You're an only child?! How crap am I that I never knew! :o(

    I've always wanted to do scary stuff for charity. Wish I'd known that you were such an advocate sooner ;o)

    No tea or coffee?! How do you function?! Lol ;o)

    The only child thing has made me think of another post for my blog... :o)

    Thanks for taking up the invite hon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!!! I thought you all knew! ;) dunno how I managed to keep that a secret for so long... ;)

    So, you fancy white water rafting then?

    No tea or coffee - just coke (the coca cola kind mind!) :)

    was kinda funny writing a post that didn't have moaning as the primary motivation! I think I quite liked it ;) x

    ReplyDelete