Like all Scots I love a good moan. Of all the nationalities I've had the pleasure to make contact with I think we are the nation who most loves having something to moan about! In fact we're usually never happier than when we're moaning...
Now you'll notice I am making a sweeping generalisation here, but just think about it... of all the people you know, who are the ones who moan the most? ...well, apart from all the old fogies out there.
I have been enjoying a good moan for many years, with my boyfriend & parents being subjected to my many & sometimes lengthy rants. My dad has always been highly amused by my wit & comic turn of phrase & has often suggested I write it all down. ...but with a high quota of swearing & bearing in mind my dad is not exactly the most impartial or critical audience, I'd written off the idea fairly early on...
But since 'you just couldn't make this shit up' I thought I'd give it a go... the writing it down part that is :)
I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm heading towards 30 or if it's living in a city that supplies me with fuel for my moaning. ...maybe it's a combination of these two factors...
For the last 5 years I've lived in Edinburgh. It isn't really a big city, more like a very large town, & if you happen to be lucky enough to spend any length of time here, & manage to speak to a cross section of the local population, you'll realise just how many things there are to moan about in the Capital: roadworks during the festival, tourists in general, tramworks, tourists during the festival, potholes to name but a few...
I've noticed that my moans (they don't always result in a full scale sweary rant!) usually focus on one of the following topics:
- drivers generally
- supermarkets
- the customers who frequent my local ASDA
- call centre employees who give the impression that they actually do know what they are doing or that they are actually doing something then don't
- HBOS/Bank of Scotland after the merger (although after much complaining & them managing to 'misplace' my money I left them & gave my money to a real bank)
- pedestrians (when I'm driving but also when I am a pedestrian)
I'm sure I'll be able to add other subjects to the list as we go on!
For those of you who also hate HBOS...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4295448486